Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Saying Goodbye


Goodbye my dear, little friend. I shall not see you for a while. Our relationship is just not working out for me. Although you are always sweet to me, I cannot continue down this path of addiction and co-dependency. Really, it's not you....it's me. I just don't want to be in a relationship with you anymore. I will miss you dearly.

Ok...here goes...I'm giving up refined sugar and fructose corn syrup for the next two weeks. Ack! All my sweet goodness will come from either fruit for dessert or the occasional bit of honey for my tea or smoothies. This will be a HUGE test of willpower, but my sugar cravings/addiction has seriously gotten out of control. And I'm a control freak. I like to micromanage. I like to be in control. I am probably going to be a total beeyotch for the next two weeks (my poor husband). Good thing I'll be out of town partially next week. But, I'm babysitting my niece who loves donuts. That's going to be a true test.

I've logged 10 miles so far this week. Shooting for 30 by the end of the week. On track and the legs feel pretty good. My recovery run really worked the soreness out. I think I'm going to the gym with a co-worker during lunch today to try and get a quick 3 miles in. Then I can hit the gym this evening for some bis and tris work and maybe another 3 on the treadmill or elliptical. While running is keeping my legs pretty fit, my arms and abs have wilted and withered a bit. I want to turn that jello into "hello!".

Today I LOVE: Raspberry flavored seltzer/soda water. Ritz and La Croix make great ones!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

It's only a temporary departure from your dear friend. Your abs will thank you for it.

I love reading your posts...you make me giggle!

Calyx Meredith said...

Oh - good luck! Giving up sugar is hard. Two weeks - you can do that!!

AND - in the interest of passing on freaky, fringey information about food/digestion... Eat your fruit for dessert first! It's been shown that fructose has something in it that can make you want less food at a later meal AND fruit passes through your stomach in about 30 minutes. It's way better to eat fruit by itself on an empty stomach so it can go right through to your intestines (where the nutrients are absorbed and your body gets the use of the energy.) If you eat fruit last it has to wait for hours and hours while your stomach tries to digest all that other stuff first. Not trying to convert or preach - just passing on a tip that has been working for me!

Marlene said...

Ooooh, good for you! I'm not strong enough! Good luck.

Yony Lee Kim said...

Man, I need to do that too! I'm completely out of control these days and it's BAD. More power to ya, girlfriend!

Marky Mark said...

Good luck! Getting rid of sugar is tough--I actually think refind sugar is more of an evil than steak--our cave dwelling anscestors ate all sorts of meat--the problem is refined carbs!