For those of you who follow me on Twitter, you already know that this last week has been a bit of a bitch. Living in the New Orleans area, we were right in the direct path of Hurricane/Tropical Storm Isaac. We decided to stay and not evacuate since we are about 40 miles north of New Orleans, on high ground, and had a 5500 watt generator and 3 A/C window units (and plenty of beer). Loading up a 10 month old and driving for 8 to 9 hours to Texas or Georgia was NOT my idea of a picnic.
Isaac came and wreaked some major havoc in various forms:
- He dumped an ass-load of water on us. For those of you unfamiliar with the term "ass-load" it means 8+ inches of water in 24 hours. It rained and rained and rained and rained....
- We had sustained winds in the 70 mph range. This equaled lots of downed trees and tree limbs.
- We lost power, but luckily for only about 36 hours (Cleco and all of the electrical response teams are BADASS!)
- I stress ate and drank for a weight gain of 2 lbs. (Doh!)
- I have not run since Sunday's long run (Double DOH!!!)
Training has been going well though. I've been killing my long runs. I've run several 9's and 10's and even pushed my 10 miler to 15 on Sunday. I was helping a friend get to 45 miles. That's right....FORTY-FIVE miles of running. If you don't follow @KerrieAnnFrey you SHOULD. She is just so awesome and inspiring and I want to be like her when I grow up. That's me on the left in the blue. Kerri is the bad-ass on the right. My hip's been a bit cranky since that run. I've been stretching and rolling it. Hoping it cooperates for tomorrow's 6 miles.
In good news, lookie what I found at the grocery store!!! You know what this means...Fall is here! Fall is here! Well...almost. After my first Starbucks pumpkin spice latte (#PSL) then I consider Fall officially here. I figured a six-pack of this was appropriate seeing as we are experiencing a true, blue moon tonight.
That's all I have for now.
Today I love: How a hurricane makes you appreciate the basic essentials we take for granted.