Friday, August 31, 2012

Hurricane Isaac Can Suck It!


For those of you who follow me on Twitter, you already know that this last week has been a bit of a bitch. Living in the New Orleans area, we were right in the direct path of Hurricane/Tropical Storm Isaac. We decided to stay and not evacuate since we are about 40 miles north of New Orleans, on high ground, and had a 5500 watt generator and 3 A/C window units (and plenty of beer). Loading up a 10 month old and driving for 8 to 9 hours to Texas or Georgia was NOT my idea of a picnic.

Isaac came and wreaked some major havoc in various forms:
  • He dumped an ass-load of water on us. For those of you unfamiliar with the term "ass-load" it means 8+ inches of water in 24 hours. It rained and rained and rained and rained....
  • We had sustained winds in the 70 mph range. This equaled lots of downed trees and tree limbs.
  • We lost power, but luckily for only about 36 hours (Cleco and all of the electrical response teams are BADASS!)
  • I stress ate and drank for a weight gain of 2 lbs. (Doh!)
  • I have not run since Sunday's long run (Double DOH!!!)
Now luckily this week in my training plan was supposed to be a step down week anyway. My long run this week is only supposed to be 5 miles. After Sunday's 15 miles my hip has been acting up. I'm thinking the rest was probably good for me, but I still have the antsy "I haven't run in days" stress going on. I was determined to go out today for an easy 3 or 4, but today's stress of clean-up, job response and Baby Z's crawl-a-thon just wore me out. So, I decided to drink a beer instead. :) Yeah...bad...I know.

Training has been going well though.  I've been killing my long runs. I've run several 9's and 10's and even pushed my 10 miler to 15 on Sunday. I was helping a friend get to 45 miles. That's right....FORTY-FIVE miles of running. If you don't follow @KerrieAnnFrey you SHOULD. She is just so awesome and inspiring and I want to be like her when I grow up. That's me on the left in the blue. Kerri is the bad-ass on the right. My hip's been a bit cranky since that run. I've been stretching and rolling it. Hoping it cooperates for tomorrow's 6 miles.



In good news, lookie what I found at the grocery store!!! You know what this means...Fall is here! Fall is here! Well...almost. After my first Starbucks pumpkin spice latte (#PSL) then I consider Fall officially here. I figured a six-pack of this was appropriate seeing as we are experiencing a true, blue moon tonight.

That's all I have for now.

Today I love: How a hurricane makes you appreciate the basic essentials we take for granted.

No comments: