Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Jazz Half Marathon training week #1


Holy crap where did the summer go!!?? I've been lounging and hitting the pool and drinking daiquiris in the bag (Have you SEEN these things??? They are AWE-SOME!) and letting summer just cruise on by, knowing that fall half marathon training was creeping up fast. Now I was running...but not "RUNNING".  I've mainly just been doing some maintenance stuff (read: sitting on my butt or schlogging through a run). I woke up on Sunday and thought I'd better check on a training plan for the upcoming Jazz Half Marathon. I realized then that it's 13 weeks away! 13 WEEKS PEOPLE!! That's not much time!! ACK!

This is the first half marathon, post-pregnancy, that I plan to RUN - not fun-run - I mean, really balls-out train for and run. I have set a pretty lofty time goal for myself. Not so lofty for my pre-Baby Z-self, but lofty for my fat-butt-out-of-shape-still-have-some-baby-weight-left self. I'm both excited and nervous about this race. I have all of the self-doubt issues creeping into my head, but I'm going in with the attitude of try your hardest and enjoy the outcome (but I really want to kick-ass).


I plugged my goal time and training preferences into the nifty Runner's World Smart Coach app. It's a little expensive for an app, but has some nice feature and chugs out a pretty nice training plan. This is what the little running dictator is telling me I need to get done this week:

Monday: 4 miles easy
Tuesday: Rest or X-train
Wednesday: 5 mile tempo (1 mile w/u, 3 miles tempo, 1 mile c/d)
Thursday: 4 miles easy
Friday: Rest or X-train
Saturday: 8 miles long run (slow and easy pace)
Sunday: Rest or X-train

Total mileage: 23 miles

I got Monday's and Wednesday's runs done. And I actually ran 6 today instead of the required 5. Yup. I'm an overachiever. But no-one seemed to inform Mother Nature that ultra high humidity is NOT preferred when Jen is training for a half marathon. These runs KICKED MY BUTT! I ran 6 last week with somewhat ease when we had a cool spell. Well, I was barely able to do 4 easy this week. Blergh. Now, I did it and I know some of what went wrong was due to fueling issues and only 5 hours of sleep (thank YOU Baby Z). Gawd, I sure hope this gets easier though. COME ON FALL WEATHER!!!!

In other news I forgot my Garmin on my 6 miler today. Not a total tragedy since I knew the route and knew where the 3 mile turnaround was, but I'm a data nerd and like to see pace, avg. pace, calories burned (so I know how many cupcakes I can eat), etc...blah, blah, and so on and so forth. It then hit me, "Hey - you have one of those smart phone thingies! There's got to be a free (emphasis on free) app that will do all of that!" Sure enough, one quick search later I found the MapMyRun app and downloaded it. And I'll be damned if that thing wasn't accurate! I DID have to turn on my GPS on my phone which I do NOT like to do (in case the Russians want to pinpoint my location and launch a missile up my rear) but it was a nice little app! All kinds of data read outs to take my mind of the life-sucking humidity. Ahhh...technology...how I love thee.

Today I Love: O.N.E Coconut Water - great post long(ish) run fuel.

1 comment:

zhaine robenson said...

Tough Mudder Training is a structured training program that will condition you for the physical and mental tests of obstacle course racing. This comprehensive and progressive guide will build muscular strength and improve cardio, while training the race day skills essential for success in any obstacle race or mud run.