Saturday, March 28, 2009

This'll shut them up!

When I tell people that I run I constantly get comments from them (always non-runners I might add) that I'm wrecking my knees. Women's Health magazine has an article posted online 6 Reasons Why You Should Run. And look here at number 3.

3. Your knees will thank you

Contrary to what your mom says, running doesn't wreck your joints. Osteoarthritis (the most common type of arthritis), occurs when joint-cushioning cartilage starts to break down. The biggest osteoarthritis risk factor besides age? Body weight. A National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey found that obese women had nearly four times the risk of knee osteoarthritis than non-obese women; for men, it was five times the risk. Runners are much more likely to be at a normal weight than members of the sedentary population, significantly decreasing their risk of osteoarthritis.

It goes further than just the benefits of weight loss, too. Running bolsters your cartilage by increasing oxygen flow and flushing out toxins, and by strengthening the ligaments around your joints. Hitting the trail also gives your bones a boost, helping to prevent osteoporosis.

Though it's important to treat all running injuries and to replace your shoes often, in the end, running will build your joints up, not tear them down.

Very nice indeed.

2 comments:

Marlene said...

I should save a copy of this - people are ALWAYS telling me I'll wreck my knees and that's supposedly the reason they don't run. BS!

Calyx Meredith said...

I have never once gotten flack from anyone about running hurting my knees - but it's still good to know. I mean, I know running makes me feel better - but it's another layer of confidence to know it's helping my joints!