Saturday = 16 miles, avg pace = 10:19
Total mileage for the week = 30.5 miles
It was such a gorgeous day yesterday!! I got up early and headed down to the trace to get a nice, long run in. Originally I had planned to do a nice, easy 10 or 12 miles leaving just 4 - 6 for Sunday to wrap up my 30 for the week. I started out the run and it just clicked. The weather was gorgeous, slight wind - just a perfect spring day. I was holding a great pace and it wasn't tiring me out. I got to the 5 mile turnaround and said "ehhh...I'm not ready to turn around yet." 6 mile turnaround - nope. I decided to push to the Abita trail head which has a nice water stop and park. I turned around and looked down at Minnie and was shocked to see my average pace for the first 9 miles was 10:04! Wow. And I still wasn't fatigued yet! It felt great! I started slowing down finally around mile 13 but still managed to hold a 10:19 pace overall.
This run was such a testament of how far a person can come from running just in one year.
- This time last year I was struggling to hold a 10:19 pace for 4 miles. Now I'm holding that for 16 miles!
- This time last year I was scared to death of running anything over 10 miles. Now I'm running 16 just for the heck of it - because it felt good.
- This time last year I struggled with "I can't" and now I say "Sure, why not? I can!"
- This time last year I was such an inconsistent runner. Now I love lacing the shoes up five times a week.
- This time last year my goal was 15-20 miles per week. Now I'm getting 30 mpw without too much struggle.
I'm paying today for the 16 miles. I'm sore, but really not as bad as in previous days. I can still manage a slow run. I think I'll take the pups for a nice stroll today and try and work out some of that lactic build-up. Maybe a slow run tonight?
Today I LOVE: How "I can'ts" turn into "I can".
2 minutes ago