Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Some days are good. Some days you puke.

Wednesday - 2 miles, pace pitiful

I'm on travel to Arkansas yesterday and today. I meant to get three easy miles in yesterday but work got away from me and travel delays exhausted me. By the time I got to Little Rock, all I wanted to do was check into the hotel, eat a light dinner and go to sleep.

Well, the light dinner consisted of an apple, a banana, a Luna bar (never leave home without a couple - just for this), and a snack pack of Oreos (provided free from Hampton Inn). I know...not the best dinner, but I didn't rent a car and the Bennigan's that was next door to this hotel last year had been torn down. SIGH.

I went to bed early and resigned myself to just get up early, run my easy 3, shower and eat breakfast and wait for my ride to pick me up at 7:30.

The alarm went off and I dragged my butt out of bed after tossing and turning most of the night (the first night in any hotel always kills me). I got dressed in my running gear, drank a glass of water and trecked downstairs to the fitness room. I started the treadmill out slowly to try and warm up.

The first mile was excrutiating. I had a hard time just keeping a 10:10 pace. I thought that maybe I needed to increase the pace to get a more comfortable stride. I increased the pace to 9:30. That lasted about a half mile. I finished out the second mile back at 10:20 with my body screaming at me the whole time.

I thought I'd just walk out that last mile for an even three. That's when the shakes set in and the nausea came. I stopped the treadmill and sat down to catch my breath. Didn't help. I had to run to the trash can and through the waves of nausea, proceeded to lose the water that was jostling in my stomach. Thank goodness no one else was in the room!

I have now officially "run till I threw up". Ha. Not a good feeling at all. The only thing I can figure is that it was a combo of things: not fueling properly, exhaustion from the travel, the room was hot, and altitude change (from below sea level to the Arkansas mountains).

On my way home this evening. I am going to sleep in a bit and slowly make my way to work. The weather is suppsoed to be gorgeous at home. It'll be nice to get a decent outside run in tomorrow - back in below sea level altitudes! :)

Today I love: going home!!!

3 comments:

Willie said...

Wow never had that happen.

I've stayed in enough Hampton Inns to make me want to puke though.

Safe travels.

Marlene said...

Yikes!! I bet you'll be happy to get in a decent run at home. Safe travels!

Southbaygirl said...

I've puked after running and it sucks!!! I don't wish that on anyone!!!

I hope you made it home safe!!