Thursday, November 20, 2008

STILL a bit sore

It is now Thursday and my quads are STILL sore. Now I'm not hobbling around and wincing with every step like I was two days ago, but there's still some twinges of pain after I've been sitting for a while. Tonight, I'm going to take the dogs for a nice 2 to 3 mile walk and try and work the rest of this soreness out. Saturday or Sunday I'll go out for an easy run to get back into the swing of thing.

Now Jeff really wants to run the Phoenix R&R Half. He had me print out a beginner's training plan and he's been checking off his runs the last couple of days! I'm so excited that he has the racing bug now. I think him being at the race, seeing all the different shapes, sizes and ages of the runners has given him the confidence that he too can do this.

I was reading about marathon recovery and that it takes 26 days for your body to recover (approximately one day per mile). Wow. 26 days? Really? I'm already antsy to go out for a run! I know, I know...take it easy or I'll risk injury or illness. I will. But I don't know that I can take it easy for 26 days. Mainly I just read that you should build back up to speed work over the next few weeks. They advised complete rest the week after the marathon with a few walks in there to work out the soreness, then a few easy runs in the next few weeks and slowly build back up to speed work and long runs.

So that leads to the question for today:

What do you guys do to recover from a race?

Tomorrow...picture post. I promise!

Today I LOVE: looking at all my race pictures.

7 comments:

BeachRunner said...

Great question. I have no answers, but I can't wait to read what people say, because I want to know too.

Sarah said...

Hey Jen! Glad to hear you're on the mend and slowing easing from soreness.

As far as your question- obviously I have only finished 3 marathons, but I usually take one week off completely and then short runs/spinning/yoga...cross training.

I'm so excited Jeff has caught the bug! I tell ya, it only takes one big race. That's what happened to Ry after Nashville!

Have a great day!

Marlene said...

Definitely take it easy til you're feeling 100%. You can run, of course, but don't push yourself too hard. Take advantage of this time to run based on how you feel. No pressure for hills or speedwork or any of that #%&!. Just run and love it!

Cross-training is key to recovery... that, and a lot of junk food. Okay, maybe not, but in the days (okay, weeks) after my marathon, I indulged in a lot of the things I didn't allow myself to eat while training.

And now I am STILL trying to lose the 5 lbs I gained. So maybe ignore that suggestion...

Can't wait for the pics!

Reese said...

For me it depends on what's next. But generally I'll wait two days, and then slow walk/run to help get my legs back. By the next week end I'll be doing short runs of 4-6miles. And two weeks out I'm generally back to my regular schedule. But if you have nothing on the horizon, then by all means take it very easy.

Junie B said...

Heres my advice, and that i have taken from my coach over the past couple of years.

first week, after about 4 days off completely (which you should be icing every night for 10 min), then for the first week 20 min SLOW AND EASY runs 3-4 times that week.

second week, you can bump up to 30-45 min EASY AND SLOW runs 3-4 times a week.

2 weeks after you can do an hour EASY run...then work up from there...but go by what your body tells you, but certainly dont wait too long.

Willie said...

Recovery what's that? I recover from a marathon by planning for my next one!

I usually take 3 days off and then start off with an easy jog. In the past I've struggled more with emotional drain than from pain so I take it easy until I'm back in good spirits then it's back to a training plan.

I'm not the best person to ask about this. I listen to my body and try to always be on a training plan for something so I don't really ever recover. I guess the best advice is to listen to your body. In your case though I'd listen with a small plug in one ear so you don't overdo it.

It's awesome that you are ready to get out there and do it though. That's what I like to hear! You've got the bug and it sounds like your hubby does too. It will be great to train together!

Anonymous said...

Jen...Where did you get the training manual...I'd be interested in that also? sweet