Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Great group run, bad long run

I had a good week last week. I am starting to slowly find a happy medium between my running and my workouts. It's taking some adjustment, but I'm starting to make it work. I've divided this post into two sections trying to catch up from last week.

Group Run

I decided to go out on Thursday and meet up with the Varsity Sports running group. They hold a group run every Thursday night at 6:00 around the lakefront area. I've been reluctant to go because I'm a slow runner and these guys are crazy, fast, hard-core. I'd be the one huffing and puffing in the back just desperately trying to keep up. They usually just run 4, 5, or 6 miles at your own pace. Recently they started to do speed work on Thursday nights. I generally abhor speed work and usually only do it on a treadmill and only because I'm bored to tears. I decided, what a better way than to share my misery with other folks? And - I'm not gonna get any faster if I don't try. So, I laced up my shoes and drove over to the store.

For the first 5-10 minutes we're all standing out front of the store waiting, stretching, gearing up. I'm looking around and I'm the ONLY girl. Great. Just great. It's a fairly hot and humid day and all the guys are taking their shirts off to run. I am NOT going that far to fit in. My girls will stay double layered covered up, thank you very much! I'm getting more nervous because these guys have super sleek runner's bodies. Not a jiggly thigh or muffin top in sight! Then Susan walked up. Susan is an older woman (I would guess late 40s?) with ROCKIN' legs! Oh - if I could only have an ounce of the muscle she's sporting in her legs. We gravitated to each other and I found out this was her first time too. Sweet! We can get lost together! We determined that we run about the same pace too. Even better.

We started out with an easy warm up run to the area where the mile quarters are marked off. Susan and I kept a good 9:30 pace and just talked away until we got there (about 1 mile away). Then the hell started. Repeats. I never knew such torture existed. The plan was 1600x2, 800x2, and 400x2 and slow recovery jog back to the shop. A total of about 4.5 in all with warm-up, warm-down. I smoked that first 1600 - 8:34! We rested a bit and hit the 2nd 1600 a little slower (9:00). The heat and humidity were starting to get to me. We attempted the two 800s and then my body was done. Spent. Susan was exhausted too. We decided to just slowly jog back to the shop along the lakefront then. It was so great to meet her and run with her. We just clicked and started talking away and supporting each other on the run. We exchanged e-mails and have agreed to meet for the Thursday runs as much as possible. I have a new running buddy. Yeah!

Long Run


Sunday I decided to head out for my long run. My goal was the usual 9 miles - from the trailhead to the next trailhead and back. We've had really nice weather, but it's starting to get warm now. I wanted to walk the dogs that morning before it got too hot. I was feeling a little lazy and was just basking in the morning quietness so I didn't get out the door until almost mid-morning. The temp read 82 degrees, but it felt a little breezy and cool. I got to the trailhead and started my run, holding a great pace. My legs felt strong and I was just enjoying the run. I kept it at 9:30 for the first 4.25 miles. I had to push myself but it felt good. It was starting to get hot and I was sweating like crazy. I stopped at the trailhead and stood under the misters for a bit, drank a ton of water and took my orange Gu (I prefer the chocolate) for the run back.

About five minutes into the run back it hit - exhaustion and waves of nausea. Not good. I slowed it way down. Nope - my body was having none of it. I ended up walking back the majority of the 4.25 miles back to my car. Thank goodness I had a huge water bottle and a powerade waiting for me there. I gulped those down and started to cool down finally. The temps read 90+ with 65% humidity. Ugh. No wonder. I overheated. Not a good run - not at all. 8.5 done...slowly. Summer's definitely here - no more mid-morning runs. 6:00 a.m. - here I come, WITH fuel belt in tow.

Today I LOVE: that my husband makes me grilled cheese when I don't feel well. He's the best!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more about the group run. I had to get over my intense fear of running with others before joining my running group, but now, I can't imagine training without it. It's such a performance-booster, and such a great way to make new running buddies!

Sarah said...

I can only imagine what nausea and orange gu can feel like together. Ugh. In my mind the orange gu triggers the nausea! So it will be "hello dawn" from now on, huh? You must be careful in that heat. I'm glad you made it back safely and recovered.

As far as speedwork, I still don't like it either. However, now that I have a group that I do it with it is quite nice. I'm forever amazing at how having someone right on your butt the whole time makes you run faster and faster. Who knew I was competitive? Keep going!!

Have a good day, girlfriend and get some rest. The trail will miss you!

Marlene said...

Yikes, that is some BRUTAL heat! No wonder it wiped you out. One thing about summer - no sleep-ins on the weekend. :\

Awesome that you found a running buddy! Solo repeats are no fun at all.

Southbaygirl said...

You got grilled cheese from hubby? send hubby over here!!!
Now young lady, you live in Neux Orliiiiins,,,you know better that to head off for a long run in the mid-morning in the heat-oh wait you're a gator fan...forgot!

I'm really glad you met someone you could run with at the thursday night hell runs! That is the reason I don't go to those-all those fast peeps! I am much slower than you, so it's definitely not the place for me...I run alone as it is, well actually I run with Velcro, so on those I'd definitely be running by myself!

Please don't go running in the heat and humidity!!!

maria khoury said...

that is really exciting news about the successful group run, and a new running buddy!! that is the kind of stuff i dream about. glad it worked out!

Maryland Girl aka Michelle said...

I wish I could keep your pace. I am a pokey runner. Good that you met a new running buddy. Having workout/trainng buddies is some much more fun.

Willie said...

I'm so glad you found a running partner. Sounds like a fun workout, may have to do that one sometime.

Let me guess why you take Orange Gu.... Hmmmm... can't think of a reason. Gators, Geesh.

Marky Mark said...

I wonder if those Gu packets ever expire--I bought a bunch of a seasonal flavor at Christmas and haven't used them yet....