...for the moment.
I've mentioned this in past posts, but it's back again - I have bad knees. Both are bad, but my right knee in particular gives me the most problems. I've had them both scoped at different times when I was younger - mainly for torn cartilage. The right knee suffered the most damage and had the most cartilage removed. In addition I have a floating patella - meaning my kneecap just floats around willy-nilly thinking it can do whatever the hell it wants and go wherever the hell it wants, damning the pain it causes the rest of the joint. (my knee cap is such a princess...it gets that from me).
My knee injuries and pain stem from a number of reasons:
- I'm a spazz - I run, walk, crawl, talk, chew like a spazz. Very uncoordinated.
- I'm a girl of German heritage = I'm a curvy gal. I have wide hips which means my legs are at an angle (think V). This angle means I put a funky pressure on my knees when I strike the ground.
- I have less cartilage which means less joint lube which means bone on bone rubbing.
- I should be wearing my patella stabilizer band all the time during runs, but I don't. I'm lazy and impatient and I forget where I put it and decide "ahh, the heck with it" and run out the door anyway.
- I think I'm superwoman and can just run and add mileage without any problems.
I think this is my body's way of telling me to slow it down. I think I upped my mileage too quick, too soon. I think my knees are stupid.
Stop by The Happy Runner's blog for another cool contest and giveaway!!
Today I LOVE: A clean house (ok - my closet's still a mess, but the rest is clean.)