Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Maintaining

Sorry for the big gap in posts. I've been on travel here and there for the past few weeks. This week is San Antonio and the weather is seriously GORGEOUS! It's in the 60s and 70s. Perfect spring weather.

I've been really just maintaining running until I can decide on the next race that I want to do. Little Rock is this month - killer hills but a freakin' awesome medal. OKC and Nashville are next month. Decisions, decisions, decisions. But, I've been averaging about 23-24 mpw. AND I'm keeping a 9:40 pace for my 6 mile runs! So, my speed is definitely improving.

Today is Ash Wednesday, the start of Lent and I have been racking my brain trying to decide what to do for my Lenten promise. I toyed with giving up meat for the 40 days. I have almost completely given up beef and pork (I say almost because I love me some bacon!). And I eat non-meat meals twice a week. But to give up chicken and turkey (and fish too???) would be a huge sacrifice. I also toyed with giving up sugar and/or caffiene completely. But, I figured that would be more of a punishment to my husband than anything else since I would become a total beeyotch from Crankytown. So, I think I have decided to make a promise to run 30 miles a week instead. It will be a sacrifice of timen a test of willpower and a true committment, but it will benefit my physical health as well as my spiritual health. I sort of started this in January, but fizzled out because I let life and laziness get in the way. If I truly want to become faster then I need to run more consistently and log more mileage and run speed drills. So, for the next 40 days I shall commit to run 30 miles each week.

Today I LOVE: strolling along the Riverwalk in San Antonio.

3 comments:

BeachRunner said...

Wow. Aren't you lucky. Enjoy that great weather as you run your 30 speedy mpw.

Willie said...

So jealous, love the river walk and would love the temps too.

Good choice for your sacrifice. You can do it and you'll be an awesome rockstar when you're done.

Nashville is hilly too, just saying......

Reese said...

It's nice to be in great physical condition so that you have choices.