The iPod Shuffle is just the perfect little running buddy. It's small, clips anywhere I want and is cost effective (= cheap). And 2 gigs of music is WAY more than I'll ever need on a long distance run. Plus, I do not like having anything strapped to my arms. I have tried running with a Nano and my iTouch. Meh. I kept getting distracted by this ginormous velcro blood-pressure cuff strapped around my arm. There was a lot of grumbling in the Twitter world amongst athletes about Apple's rumored decision. I'm not the only one that loves their shuffle. I imagine that Apple will try and market the Nano 6th generation as the "new" and "improved" running buddy. I'm not buying it. I sweat profusely when I run. My clothes are usually soaked. The idea of clipping a $150 nano to my body to get drenched in sweat just isn't as appealing. I've already been through two Shuffles. (Side note: they do not like it when you pour Powerade all over them). I usually keep one or two in my desk as "back-ups to the back-up Shuffle". I don't know what I'm going to do if my little running buddy goes away. If Apple makes their announcement this week I suspect there will be a mad rush on Shuffle purchases - most of them by athletes. I know I will stockpile several for use until I can find a decent alternative.
This whole Shuffle thing also got me thinking about updating my current Shuffle and what songs I like to put on it. Now I know all runners talk about playlists ad nauseum:
- what are the best songs for a running playlist?
- what songs are between 160 to 180 bpm (for cadence work)?
- what songs motivate you best?
- (and so on and so forth...)
- L.O.V.E. - Ashlee Simpson
- Good Times - INXS
- Cherry, Cherry - Neil Diamond
- Baby (You've Got What it Takes) - Brook Benton & Dinah Shore
- Cecilia - Simon & Garfunkle
- Love Somebody - Rick Springfield
- Now that We Found Love - Heavy D and the Boyz
- Maniac - Michael Sembello
- The Lion Sleeps Tonight - Tokens
- 54-46 Was My Number - Toots & The Maytals
- Everybody (Backstreet's Back) - Backstreet Boys
- (You Drive Me) Crazy - Britney Spears
- Barbie Girl - Aqua
- Stir It Up - Patti LaBelle
- The Other Woman - Ray Parker Jr.
- Humpin' Around - Bobby Brown
- I'm Free (Heaven Helps the Man) - Kenny Loggins
- Faded - soulDecision
Today I am thankful for: cool, crisp fall weather and pumpkin spice lattes!